From the History of Ingham and Eaton County
From the History of Ingham and Eaton Count, D.W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia, 1880, p. 127
On the first of October, 1843, Mr. Turner married Miss Marian Munroe (sic) daughter of Jesse Munroe, a native of Pawlet, Rutland Co., VT, where he was born in 1791. Mr. Munroe is still living (June 1880), in good health, with his daughter, Mrs. Turner. The latter was born in Amherst, Erie co., N.Y., whither her father had removed from Vermont, December 8, 1818. The family is of Scotch extraction. Mr. Munroe removed to Michigan in 1836, settling in Clinton County, in the town of Eagle, where Mr. Turner was married.
About 1838, Mrs. Turner made a visit to friend residing in Mason, going on horseback, accompanied by a relative. She went via Okemos, fording the Cedar River at that point, which was so swollen that Mrs. Turner -then Miss Munroe- was obliged to hold her feet upon the horse's back to keep them out of the water. On their return to Clinton county they followed the Indian trail along grand River, and stopped for lunch on the ground, or very near, where the Turner mansion now stands. Miss Munroe was greatly pleased with the location and the fine view it afforded and remarked that she should not wonder if, when she was married, she might some day make her home there. The prophecy has long since been fulfilled, and certainly there is no more pleasant site for a home in Ingham county, overlooking as it does, a long sweep of the beautiful river and a broad scope of cultivated country in all directions. At the time of this first visit the whole region was a wilderness. The high bluff bank of the river at this point is clothed with a majestic growth of forest-trees, then open and unobstructed by undergrowth, with cold, pure springs gushing from the slopes and dashing to the river below. This is today the most romantic spot in the vicinity of Lansing and with a small outlay could be transformed into a picturesque park.
Mr. Turner had purchased lots in the lower town previous to his marriage and removal here. On these Mrs. turner planted a few locust trees in the spring of 1844, one of which is still looking thrifty and vigorous. Mr. turner built a small one and a half story frame dwelling (still standing) on these lots, which are situated south of the lane leading to the family residence. The present property was purchased at various times of F.M. Cowles, James Seymour, and Isaac Townsend, or his heirs. Mr. Turner was administrator of the Isaac Townsend estate. Mr. Turner's death took place on the 1st of October, 1869, in his fiftieth year and on the anniversary of his marriage.