Mrs. Marion M. Turner Passed Away

The following is the text of an undated newspaper article. Mrs. Turner was born December 8, 1818, and died July 11, 1912. Upon request, the Secretary can provide a copy of the article with its accompanying photo of Mrs. Marion M. Turner.

Mrs. Marion M. Turner Passed Away at Home of Daughter, Mrs. Dodge was 93 Years of Age


Beloved Pioneer Came to Michigan in 1836
Funeral Services Will Be Held Saturday Afternoon at 2 O'clock.

Mrs. Marion M. Turner, one of the oldest and most beloved residents of the city, died Wednesday night shortly after midnight in her ninety-fourth year, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank L. Dodge, North St. where she had lived for the past 22 years. Mrs. Turner was one of the earliest if not the very earliest pioneer of Lansing and Michigan living in this day.

Mrs. Turner was a wonderful woman and a member of an extraordinary family. Born in Amhurst, Erie county, N Y., December 8, 1818, she came to Michigan with her father, Jesse Monroe, in 1836 and settled in Eagle, Clinton county. She was the eldest of 11 children and up to three weeks ago she was one of seven of these children still living and each past three score years and ten. Late in June her brother, Josiah Turner, aged 89 years, died in Eagle. She is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Betsey Webber, aged 91 years; Mrs. John W Longyear, aged 87 years, and Mrs. Ezra Turner, aged 80 years, all of Lansing, and a brother, William Monroe, aged 75 years, of this city, and Horace Monroe, who is past 70 years of age, in California.

Mrs. Turner had been in perfect health until recently, taking active part in family, social, philanthropic and church work, and even during the past few months when she was failing in strength she has attended frequent social functions and has been active in her home life. Her facilities were all keen and perfect to the last. In June last she attended the graduation exercises of the high school where her grandson, Willis Dodge, was a member of the class and June 5 she attended the wedding of her grandson James T. Reasoner and Miss Bessie Davis. [James T. Reasoner and Bessie Davis were married June 6, 1912.] She possessed a character of wonderful sweetness and goodness, kindness and generosity, which endeared her to all who knew her. During the past few months when her health has been failing she has been patient and uncomplaining.

In 1843 Mrs. Turner, who was Miss Marion Monroe before her marriage, was married to James Turner who was then a merchant of Mason, and in 1847 they came to Lansing. Mrs. Turner taught school in Ingham and Clinton counties before her marriage, in the early forties. Many were the interesting and thrilling stories which she told to her children and grandchildren - stories about old Chief Okemos who camped by the river bank nearby, stories of blazing the way through rugged woods, making paths which later became the streets of the city, fording the rivers, and other incidents of pioneer life. Mrs. and Mrs. Turner were both active in church and philanthropic work and were among the founders of First M. E church at North Lansing. Mrs. Turner was a member of both the state and county pioneer societies and until the last year attended all the meetings of these societies.

Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Turner, of which only three survive Mrs. Turner. They are Mrs. Marion T. Reasoner, Mrs. C. P. Black and Mrs. F. L. Dodge. The 11 grandchildren surviving her are Sophia, Franklin, Willis O., Josephine and Marion Dodge, children of Mrs. and Mrs. F. L. Dodge; Allen Black, son of Judge and Mrs. C. P. Black; James and Scott Turner of Detroit, sons of the late James M. Turner; James T. Reasoner of this city, Rev. Arthur T. Reasoner of Detroit, and Fiske Reasoner of Chicago, sons of Mrs. Marion T. Reasoner. Also two great-grandchildren survive her, children of James Turner of Detroit.

Hon. James Turner, husband of Mrs. Marion Turner, was a prominent man in pioneer days of Michigan and Lansing. He filled several state offices and was at the time of his death one of the officers and owners of the road which is now known as the Jackson-Lansing branch of the Michigan Central Railroad, which was then in the process of construction. He also built the railroad now known as the Pere Marquette, extending from Ionia to its present eastern terminus, and was a member of the company which built the plank road early in the fifties. He was prominent in church and Masonic work, and in the government of Lansing in its early days. Turner St. at North Lansing was named for Mr. Turner and the frame house which Mr. and Mrs. Turner occupied when they first came to Lansing was the first frame house built on the site of the city of Lansing, and it still stands on Turner St.

The funeral of Mrs. Turner will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the residence, 106 North St., and Rev. I. T. Weldon of First M. E church will officiate.

Pall bearers will be six nephews of Mrs. Turner: Drive. Frank N Turner, Charles M. Turner, J. Arthur Turner, Howard and Jesse Monroe of this city and Lewellyn Monroe of Eagle.