Now known as the Christman Building, the Mutual Building was constructed in 1928 to house the Michigan Millers Mutual Fire Insurance Company, a Lansing based firm established in 1881 to provide fire insurance protection for mills. The Mutual Building is a five-story, limestone-trimmed, red-brick office building. Its exterior is a stylized version of Elizabethan architecture. The building has a flattish, five-bay wide facade in which the bays at each end project very slightly forward of the facade's central portion. The Mutual Building is a product of the old and prominent Chicago firm of Pond and Pond, Martin and Lloyd. Pond and Pond designed numerous Michigan structures in the 1920s, including Lansing’s Eastern High School, the University of Michigan Union Building, and the Whitcomb Hotel in St. Joseph.