Click this link for an Absentee Ballot application. Applications must be printed, signed, and returned to the Clerk's Office. They can be mailed, scanned, faxed, dropped off at our office or one of our secure drop box locations.
To be added to the Permanent Absentee Application List in order to automatically receive an Absentee APPLICATION, please call 517-483-4133.
Reasons for Absentee Voting
A voter may request an absent voter's ballot for any of the following six reasons according to Michigan Law:
- Being 60 years of age or older.
- Physically unable to attend the polls without assistance of another.
- Is an appointed precinct worker in a precinct other than the precinct where the voter lives.
- Expects to be absent from the community in which the voter is registered for the entire time the polls are open on Election Day.
- Cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of the voter’s religion.
- Cannot attend the polls because the voter is confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial.
“I want to give Lansing residents every opportunity possible to cast their ballot,” said Chris Swope, Lansing City Clerk. “That’s why we’re pleased to offer in-person absentee voting for Lansing residents."
2017 Extended Weekend In-Person Absent Voting Opportunities
Open 30 days prior to each election, the South Washington Elections Unit is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m, and Wednesday until 7 p.m. It has free parking and is located on CATA route #2, at 2500 South Washington, with the most convenient entrance in the back of the building. Walk-in absentee voting will also be available at the following dates and times:
- Sunday a week (8 days) prior to election: 12 noon to 4 p.m.
- Saturday (2 days) prior to election: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- For August 8 City Primary Election
- The last day to register to vote in this election is Monday, October 9.
- Beginning October 9, walk-in absentee voting hours are as follows:
- Mon., Tues. Thurs., Fri. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sunday, October 29 Noon to 4 p.m.
- Saturday, November 4 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Monday, November 6 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
South Washington Office Complex
2500 S Washington
Lansing, MI 48910
Fax: 517-483-4393 Fax
Located in the rear building entrance; enter gates on the right side. The building, which formerly housed the National Guard headquarters, is south of Mt. Hope and next to Washington Park. Go to the back of the building through the gates on the right side.
Short Video On How to Get to the Elections Unit Office